Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Metallica-...And Justice For All

Hey, Cook here, so yesterday I was rummaging through my CD collection trying to find something I felt like listening to and I cam across this. I never gave it a good listen through so I put it on. And the result? Let's just say I'm tired of all the positive reviews here and I want something to rip into for a change.

This CD, being their 4th LP was met with great critical claim and became the standout Metallica album before The Black Album overrided that status 3 years later. The album contains fantastic guitar/drum work but they're a thrash band, so no points for that. It contains 9 songs and the album runs for around 70 min. Notice a problem? Now I have nothing against long songs, I mean I've listen to Brain Salad Surgery, I know what I'm talking about. But as for this album, they're consistenly long with very little change within each other;intro, riff for 3-4 min, guitar solo, riffage, mini outro. You could apply this outline to 8 of the 9 songs on the album. It is criminal for an album to contain 8-12 songs that run extremely long with little change between each track (Dragonforce/Tool, heed this warning). The album does have one saving grace, One. But it doesnt even pull this off uniquely. After a slow intro and a few beautiful verses/choruses, it goes into another thrash riff/solo/outro, albeit it manages to keep the slow feeling of the first few minutes. Doesn't stop it from being the best song on the album.

Metallica have a bad habit of creating an extremely similar album allthroughout it and getting universal claim for it. Personally, I prefer this band's rival, Megadeth. Their songs are repetitive but alot shorter and Dave Mustaine's voice doesn't want to make make me stick pins in my cochlea. To like this album you really need to worship Metallica as a band, otherwise its boring and bland. Maybe not though. Maybe I'm just biased because Megadeth have gotten so much shit because of the fact they're not Metallica. Maybe this album is the magnum opus of thrash metal everywhere. Of course that means Nickelback have artistic potential, Good Charlotte have totally released some good songs, and Karen O isn't the sexiest thing to happen to music since Marylin Munroe got her tits out at the President's birthday.

Pros
- Great guitaring/drumming
-1st half of One is great

Cons
-Repetive/Dull throughout the album
-Songs all follow the same pattern
-Too long

No comments:

Post a Comment